Penne baked with cheese, sauce and loaded with healthy vegetables in every bite. Roasted zucchini, red bell peppers, asparagus, red onion and Tomatoes ,Mushrooms are tossed with balsamic and herbs then roasted for the best tasting meatless baked pasta dish EVER!
Everyone loves a rich, comforting pasta bake, and this recipe is easy enough to make for a midweek dinner. The penne pasta is cooked with a rich tomato sauce and topped with oozy, melting cheese.
For the Veggies:
olive oil -1tbsp
1 cup Mushroom cut into lengthwise
1 red bell pepper, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch cube
1 cup asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 medium red onion, peeled and sliced into 1-inch pieces
1 cup blanched Baby Spinach
3 Small tomatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
6 cloves garlic, peeled and slightly smashed
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
Tomatoes (500 gm)
Tomato puree (10 gm)
Garlic (40 gm)
Olive oil (30 ml)
Chilly flakes (1 tsp)
Crushed black pepper (1 tsp)
Salt as per taste
Basil leves (3 – 4 )
Oregano (1 tsp)
For the Pasta:
250gm Penne Pasta
1 cup Ricotta cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Spray a large baking try with oil, toss the peppers,Mushrooms, zucchini, Tomatoes , asparagus,onion and garlic with balsamic, olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, and dried herbs.
3. Roast until tender on the lower rack of the oven, about 15 to 20 minutes stirring halfway, until slightly browned and slightly charred.
4. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions for al dente, (undercooking slightly as it will continue cooking in the oven), drain.
5. In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, parsley, and half of the mozzarella cheese.
6. Blanch tomatoes, remove the skin, seeds and chop it coarsely.
7. Heat olive oil in a sauce pan, add garlic, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, oregano and cook it for 30 minutes.
8. Add chilly flakes, black pepper, salt and finish it with basil leaves.Sauce is ready to be served as a complement with Pasta.
9. Spray a deep 13×9-inch baking dish with olive oil.
10. Put half of the cooked roasted vegetables into the prepared baking dish with blanched spinach then half of the pasta and top with 1 cup of the sauce. Spoon the ricotta cheese on top of the sauce in an even layer. Cover with the remaining pasta, then vegetables, then the remaining sauce. Finish with the remaining mozzarella and Ricotta cheese.
11. Bake in the center of the oven for 25 minutes, or until the mozzarella is melted and serve hot with garlic bread.